STEPS TO HIRING AN EMPLOYEE
1. Assess Your Need and Complete the Intent to Hire Form
- Based upon the need and your entity’s budget, can your entity employ?
- Create a Job Description.
- Complete the Intent to Hire form and send to HR with the Job Description.
- HR will communicate approval, approval with needed of change(s), or deny.
- Once the Intent to Hire has been approved, you are ready to post the position.
2. Post the Position, Accept Applications, and Hold Interviews
- Advertise the position providing an ending date or “until the position is filled.”
- Each applicant must submit the NCC Employment Application.
- Review all applications for any possible red flags prior to scheduling an interview.
- Pre-interview reference checking is encouraged.
- Conduct interviews with qualified applicants.
- HR helps coordinate multi-position employment.
- Select the best candidate and offer the position.
3. Hire PAR, Wait for “Cleared to Work” which includes the Start Date
- Submit the Hire PAR.
- Employment is contingent upon any applicable required background check clearances that apply to the position.
- The Hire Date of employment should be the 1st or the 16th of a month, which coordinates
with the NCC pay periods. Contact HR for exceptions.
- HR will send the entity a Cleared to Work confirmation which will include the start date.
- Please notify the new employee of his/her start date and required documents for employment.
4. Employment Packet
- Provide the employment packet to the employee on the first day of work and allow time for all forms to be completed.
- See the employee’s original documents provided to complete Section 2 of the I-9.
- Follow the checklist before submitting the employment paperwork to HR. Paperwork must be completed and returned to HR within the first 3-days of the employment start date.
- Have the employee sign his/her job description and submit with employment packet to HR.
5. Accountability & Compliance
- Provide the employee with his/her authorized work schedule.
- Electronic time keeping credentials are provided by Payroll.
- Over-time hours get counted into the annual Look Back Measurement.
- Please verify and approve the employee’s worked hours at the end of each pay period.