Dr. Marc Woodson was elected president of the Northern California Conference on Sept. 30, 2018. Previously, he had served as NCC executive secretary since 2007. A native of Southern California and a product of Adventist Christian education, Woodson has an associate degree in communication and a bachelor’s degree in theology from Oakwood University, a master of divinity degree from Andrews University, and a doctorate in ministry from Fuller Theological Seminary.
He is an ordained minister and has served in various capacities for over 20 years as a campus chaplain, youth pastor, associate pastor and senior pastor at the Mt. Rubidoux Adventist Church in Riverside, California. Before coming to Northern California, Woodson served the Southeastern California Conference as the associate youth director, where he supervised local church youth pastors, trained youth and young adult leaders, and planned youth events.
THE BYLAWS STATE that the President of the Northern California Conference will serve as the chairman of the Conference Session and the Executive Committee, and act as the chief executive officer.
SOME OF THE DUTIES OF THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER INCLUDE:
- Providing spiritual leadership to employees and the entire church membership
- Developing and leading a program that will fulfill the purpose of the Conference as outlined in the Bylaws
- Being involved in the process of recruitment, training, and assignment of Conference employees
- Giving guidance and leadership to departmental directors of the Conference
- Serving as chairman and member of various boards and committees within the Conference, and promoting continuity with the total work of the church by also serving on boards and committees of denominational organizations and institutions
- Promoting communication between Conference leaders and members of the churches
The Conference President works closely with the Executive Secretary and Treasurer in the management of the Conference, and reports to the Conference Executive Committee and the constituency. The President also counsels and cooperates with the Pacific Union Conference, North American Division, and General Conference leadership.
Executive Secretary's Office Staff
Executive Administrative Assistant
Pastor Jose Marin has worked in ministry for the Seventh-day Adventist Church for the past 24 years. He is currently the executive secretary for the Northern California Conference.
As Executive Secretary Marin enjoys keeping the records of the members in the Conference. He chronicles the acts of God and the growth of each church as they move forward in reaching their communities with the incarnational gospel of Christ. He shepherds pastors as they proclaim the good news of salvation and prepares men and women for His soon return.
Born in Long Beach, Calif., Marin attended public school until his senior year when he attended San Diego Academy. During spring break, he went on a mission trip which was sponsored by an anonymous donor. On that trip he definitely felt God’s call to ministry. “I realized what my life purpose was: to serve God in ministry,” he said.
Marin graduated from Montemorelos University in Mexico with a degree in Theology. Then he worked as a pastoral assistant in Southern California for several months. In 1995 he accepted a call to the Washington Conference where he helped plant several churches. From 1998-2006, he worked in the Texas Conference as a pastor and evangelist.
Marin was called to the Arizona Conference in 2006 to serve as assistant to the president for Hispanic ministries and Sabbath School director. In 2014, Marin received a call to the Northern California Conference where he served as Hispanic coordinator for two years. Then in 2016, Marin received a call to return to the Arizona Conference as executive secretary, ministerial director, and evangelism director, and then two years later, in 2018, he was voted in as executive secretary for the Northern California Conference. His passion is to demonstrate Christ’s amazing grace as he works to win men and women to Christ.
Marin and his wife Cynthia have three college-age boys: Geovanni, Nephtali and Josemiguel.
He enjoys hiking with his wife and mentoring his sons.
THE EXECUTIVE SECRETARY works with the President and Treasurer in the operation and strategic planning of the Conference Administration. According to the Northern California Conference Bylaws, the Executive Secretary is to keep the minutes of the proceedings of the Conference Sessions and Executive Committee meetings, and to act as vice-chair of the Executive Committee.
OTHER DUTIES THAT PERTAIN TO THE OFFICE INCLUDE:
- Approving and issuing credentials and licenses to all eligible workers
- Administering and supervising the work of local church clerks relating to membership transfers, baptisms, deaths, etc.
- Reviewing and recommending the development of local church organizations to the Executive Committee, such as branch Sabbath schools, affiliate groups, companies, churches
- Maintaining full and complete record of the proceedings of the Executive Committee and Constituency Session
- Providing counsel and advice to pastors and local church leaders as it relates to the SDA Church Manual and other policy matters
- Processing all travel requests for Conference workers and for overseas missions projects
- Countersigning all papers and documents that require the Executive Secretary’s signature.
THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE TREASURER of the Northern California Conference as guided by the Bylaws include:
- Receiving and disbursing all funds in harmony with the actions of the Conference Executive Committee and denominational policy
- Overseeing the auditing process of churches, schools, and other organizations associated with the Conference
- Preparing and presenting financial statements
- Serving as chairman and member of various boards and committees within the Conference, and promoting continuity with all of the denominational organizations and institutions
- Directing and counseling in the financial planning and operating of the Conference
The Treasurer works closely with the President and Executive Secretary in the management of the Conference, and reports to the Conference Executive Committee and the constituency. The Treasurer also counsels and cooperates with the Pacific Union Conference, North American Division and General Conference leadership.